Monday 30 June 2014

Activate Yourself by Watiri Mwangi

A difference is often made by one person who is fed up and is willing to act.

I love my sleep like Garfield loves lasagna, well maybe not as much. So dreams are the focal point of my sleep, sometimes good dreams sometimes nightmares. However, it has reached a point that I want to make my dreams a reality. So maybe I tell myself to go back to sleep so that I can live my dream again. However, I am constantly haunted by my dream for a better and brighter Kenya. It is quite disheartening and disappointing to wake up to a different Kenya, so I turn the sheets and continue to dream. Reality, as it is has become such a painful excursion that I do not wish to relive. Every person resonates to Martin Luther King Jr. and his dream. I look at my motherland and home Kenya and envision multiple opportunities for its growth and opportunity.



Whenever I share this I am condemned and shaken with the reality that majority of us have resigned to the status quo. The all too common statements and counter statements that ‘You can’t change the system’ are the inflictions I undergo because of my ‘wild notions. ’ I am told that my dreams and visions for a better Kenya are a mirage, unreal. People have become so focused on the status that is ‘reality’, rising inflation, high fuel costs, poverty, corruption and negative ethnicity are the order. Issues such as corruption and negative ethnicity have become the disorder that is the order of the day. However, everything seems to stoop to a grinding halt when I envision a better Kenya but the constant backlash hits me harder. That I should face reality and accept the status quo makes me even more resilient. Resilience becomes an all new driving force, an engine that drives my need for change.

Art like this, in the streets of Nairobi, is slowly being accepted as a form of activism by both the public and the authorities

No one ever changed the course of history by accepting the status quo. I am switching from dreaming to a new dimension of realization, the realization of my dreams. The realization that all this can be understated as mere political theory and illusion is mine to behold. This is particularly with the increasing polarization that is product of ethnic politics. Everyone seems to accept the sharp schism that engulfs the Kenyan national fabric. All that people state in their hypocrisy is the all too common statement, ‘We Are One.’ It seems that all we do as a country is talk, talks after talks are the norm. No one wants to act, walk the talk rather, the fear of challenging the reality that is negative ethnicity. I chose to start with myself to realize the Kenya I want.
 I chose to defy the status quo. 

I make a conscious choice to be part of a movement, a movement for positive change. It is the responsibility of every individual Kenya to actively participate in the Change that we want. To make this conscious choice of not just talking about issues but also acting to influence policy issues. Providing positive criticism through activism is one of the main approaches to be undertaken. I chose to dream no more but to undertake a new course of action, activism to the change movement. The back stops with every Kenyan individual towards holding the Kenyan leadership accountable, ensuring a system of checks and balances. Activism as a movement becomes the new approach for us to consciously effect the change we want in Kenya. Activate yourself today.


This blogpost was compiled by Watiri Mwangi. She is one of the founding members of BAMU and is a third year Political Science student.

No comments:

Post a Comment