Saturday 21 June 2014

Don’t Stare; Just Wave by Rhoda Wakaria

Staring is rude; Very rude. Which of these would you prefer: someone looking at you like you owe them something or someone looking at you like you are from Mars? I think the former is less offensive. You could owe someone something but you cannot possibly be an alien. Okay, Earth is just next to Mars in the solar system but at least all the bald heads around are not all that skinny. Sadly, some people just can’t stop staring.



Have you ever received that stare that scares the shit out of you? A total stranger digging his eyes so deep into you that you start second guessing yourself? You double-check your fly, you change your walking style to make it as ‘normal’ as possible(though you don’t even know what normal is anymore), you even breathe into your hands to confirm it’s not your breath either. Shit man! Someone making you so uncomfortable until you wish it was some big stinging boil on your butt instead.

I have a friend who when you give her those piercing eyes she returns the favour until you give up. I am not that kind of person. I will always avoid eye contact. Not because I’m scared or something…I’m not even shy. I mean; how can I be shy 24hrs…all around the clock? Nah nah…I will tell you why. First, I am very creative (that’s not up for discussion please…indeed I amJ). The moment our eyes lock, I already have a million and one ideas in my head. Maybe I’m even looking at my reflection in your eyes or thinking of how you would look without the eye sockets. Most of the time I’m trying to read your mind but since I’m not paranormal I’m probably thinking for you; giving you ideas. I could burst out laughing any minute especially when I give you ideas like suddenly breaking into Waichukucha dance in a board meeting. Probably because you had your earphones on and you forgot you are the only one who can hear that Waichukucha. Ha-ha wicked!



Anyway, I’m not so cool with awkward moments. When someone stares at you so much without saying a damn word it kind of gets awkward.At times I’ll just smile at you, if you still stare blankly I wave at you and if you still do that thing I now struggle with two options; picking a really big stone and smashing your face or punching your stomach with…well, both of my fists (coz one of ‘em might feel like a sting; just a stingL)

What’s my point here? Staring aint all that cool. When you get tempted to do it just do something less creepy like waving vigorously at the person with a grin from ear to ear. Yea that’s also creepy as hell but it’s definitely less creepy than sticking your eyes out on someone for more than a minute. Like a zombie; a dumb zombie. Next time you meet one in this profession of staring just stick out your tongue and do that ‘hands-on-the-ears’ face that scares kids away. You’ll scare the shit out of them heheheheJ.
Hasta la vista!        




This blogpost was prepared by Rhoda Wakaria. She is a member of BAMU and is a media student. This is her on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment