Sunday 6 July 2014

Even during SabaSaba I'll Stay in this ghost town of a campus -  Stacey Nduta

In Kenya, there's a day set aside to remember those who lost their lives in the name of multi-partism. It's known as Saba Saba simply because it happened on the 7th of July (7th month of the year).

Tomorrow is the D-day and the opposition has huffed and puffed for the past few weeks of peaceful rallies (chaotic riots). Many fear that the riots may be used as an excuse to inflict pain and injury to any Kikuyus (any non-Luo).

Being a student in Maseno University, which is a stronghold for the opposition, one can easily understand why I would be hesitant to spend Saba Saba here. I have watched many taking advantage of the insecurity rumors and take to their heels to their home sweet home. The student population has significantly decreased. Infact most residence halls resemble ghost towns (creepy hollow music in background). And yet I remain in my dilemna; to leave or not to leave.


Nevertheless, I do believe that one should never be driven by fear or deceitful inciting. Hence I choose to stay to prove that I believe in Kenya. Not just as a country but in it's people. Surely, as much as hooliganism is contagious; being led straight into the abattoir is a special case of stupidity.

So I think I'll stay put. Even if all my three roomies have left. Even if I think all Kikuyus have abandoned this ticking mine zone. Even if I'm becoming abit paranoid. I will stay put in this ghost town of a campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment