Thursday 10 July 2014

I Don’t Know About This by Churchill Ongere

It shouldn’t be funny, I tell myself, how my interests are still scattered all over the place three years after graduating from high school. Not that I feel like I am so old to still be trying out different things but sometimes, during those moments when I sit back and retrospect, I find myself comparing myself to my high school mates who some, to use the example of just a few,  by now, are married and are on government payrolls. (Disclaimer- I do not envy neither do I despise their marital status or employer. I do reviews from time to time you should know). I do have lots of crazy, unimaginable, stretched, secular and heavenly fun while all over the place.


I came out of primary school confident (like my father)  to be a lawyer one day (some friends I graduated standard eight with have this wrong perception that I am probably almost clearing law school now!). Well I started being argumentative ages ago. Four years ago, I came out of high school very sure of not being a lawyer but that I would be comfortable doing anything design related (btw, none of those guys I was with in high school for four good years ever imagined that I would rock dreadlocks. Look at me now!)

Then Political Science happened. I then came into university hoping to get a Political Science degree. I still hope and work hard towards getting one. This coming semester is the beginning of the end of the 8-4-4 homestretch for me.  I do love what I do for a studying though. The discussions we have in class are usually very informative. We end up arguing like our politicians do for example – sitting in the same room with someone who swears he would disown his brother if he found out he was gay. All of my lecturers have distinct personalities that are sometimes the cause of a good, long, large, laugh that brings back interest during a boring lecture. We have NAMES for all of them. *Laughs*

So what happens now that I am almost stating it here that I don’t see myself taking a Master’s Course any time soon? I see myself venturing into radio some time around June 2016 or probably going for an artist residency in some art centre in South Africa by December 2016.


But there’s one constant, I have noted, in all of these departures from the previous and present expectations people have of me or comfort-zones that I set for myself – the hunger for conversations that lead to me stepping out of my comfort zone is what drives me. Whenever I am souled into something I have developed interest in,  I dig in really deep. Till my nails hurt. Then I heal real quick! Well, the story of these scattered interests and girls is something else altogether!

No comments:

Post a Comment