Monday 7 July 2014

SET FORTH AT DAWN: PART ONE by Florence Malouda

Hi, you can call me Bitchfits and I love to listen to people talk. I don’t talk but I make blog posts of my thoughts or status updates or tweets. You want to talk to me? Yes, I’m on twitter. You want to meet me? No, I have a shitload of work to do. I have beautiful eyebrows? Yes, I know.

I’m now twenty years old and 14 years ago as I was playing with my friends, I heard the mothers talking, “Sasa darasa zingine atafanya aje?” Yes I was the topic of their conversation. Now I’m in campus and I will be in third year the new academic year this September pursuing a major in Environmental Sciences. I wish I knew where these women are now. See, I made it this far.

Lakini hizi zingine nitafanya aje?” From that day 14 years ago, I have never been able to shake of that statement. It instilled and still does a sense of dread in me. I get afraid, very afraid, “nitafanya aje?” and then I think of how far I have made it, but I do not get my courage back. Because it is the roughness of the journey, that wore me out, never fully recovered. It just gets worse.

Despite doing a major in Environmental Sciences, my real interests lie in journalism and I am already working on it, with impressive results to be proud of. I was made the editor of the best online Kenyan campus magazine, and to recruit and organize other writers. Yes that’s something! I’m doing it!

It is in the achievement of my journalistic dreams that lies my biggest hurdle, we all have hurdles I know, but some, we cannot jump over and it takes a miracle to climb over with an unwavering faith and courage, which I do not have as I sit here. What is her problem? You ask.

Many years ago, a child sat playing on her own, a short distance from the house in the front yard. Staring with glee at the colorful beads she had gathered and very slowly picks one and places in her ear…oh now I have a beautiful earring. Let me try this other one. Ohhh nooo! It can’t come out; maybe if I push it inside it will come out from the other side. MAAAAMAAA!
Bathe her and take her to the clinic and have it removed. It was. A few years later…as she is getting a thorough beating, “how many times do you want me to call you?” but I didn’t hear you!! “How can you not hear me and Leah heard? Wacha mchezo!” she cries till she throws up. She really has no idea why she is getting beaten.

She goes to her first class in primary school; she is number five, then numbers six then number two. In class two she is number four then number one and number one again. The rest of the classes she is number one, two or three but she is always number one in third term.

2005, at the ear nose and throat centre. Oh she got something in her ear? Which one? But she cannot remember. Let me see if I can find it. No there is nothing inside, she doesn’t know what the doctor is talking about but she is not the one doing the talking so she doesn’t ask. Oh let me check this side and this side, I can’t see anything but maybe I can feel it. He takes a tiny plastic funnel places it inside the ear and hammers it inside.

Ouch!! She cries! Quack!! She screams in her head. Oh whatever is in her ear has moved further inside I can only get the wax. She doesn’t understand, but she says nothing. She also has a chest infection, she coughs up sputum. Oh, do you hear the way she is coughing? That’s why she cannot hear you. I will spray her nose.

He sprays her nose and gives her a mirror to look at the stream of mucus flowing uncontrollably. This is what is making you bad but once your nose is unblocked you will be fine. She nods her head but says nothing. She doubts. Take this handkerchief and blow your nose when you going home. They leave. Her mother looks at her hopefully, your nose is unblocked now? No, it’s still blocked but she says yes, for the hope in her mother’s eyes is gut wrenching.

To be continued…


No comments:

Post a Comment