Wednesday 23 July 2014

PINKPOET KIMANI ON HER ARTISTRY WHILE IN KISUMU 

She is a poet with witty words but a soft spoken personality. A soft spoken heart. Grace Kimani might strike you as calm, jovial, ordinary lass when you first meet her.  Not till you get to know that she is an accomplished young poet whose works have been featured in two Kenyan poetry anthologies. She is the initiator of two prominent art gatherings this side of the country having started Spoken Heart in Maseno and Lakeside Poetry in Kisumu. Pinkpoet has shared the stage with outstanding poets and artists in the country like Tear Drops, Juliet Wangombe (who wrote President Uhuru Kenyatta’s acceptance speech) and Nasara the beat boxer. Be sure to bump into her at most of the many poetry events in Nairobi. Here’s an interview I did with her through e-mail back in April.



What is it like being a creative in Kisumu?
It’s been four years since I came to Kisumu and the experience has been amazing. I have had the opportunity to grow as a poet and a guitarist while in Kisumu.

When did you start your artistry?
I started performing poetry in 2003 while I was in upper primary. As for my writing, I started writing poetry in 2006 but it was not till 2012 that I began incorporating playing the guitar in my performances.

Have you linked up with any other people who engage in creative processes similar to what you do?
I have met various poets, writers and musicians in Kisumu who have a passion for art as much as I do. Through concerts and monthly artistic events I have had the opportunity to meet talented upcoming and established artist’ in Kisumu.

Being a creative/artist in Kisumu has a lot of challenges. Which ones for example have you faced?
The major challenge I have experienced as a poet in Kisumu has been that of selling my poetry. The Kisumu audience has become more receptive over the years but it is still hard to sell the idea of an exclusive poetry event in Kisumu. There is always a need to incorporate other arts such as dance and music to compliment the poetry to a very large extent. Poetry is yet to secure a strong position in the Kisumu art scene.

How have you overcome these setbacks?
With the help of other poets, we began a poetry lounge in Maseno University known as Spoken Heart. Through this forum we made poetry popular and created an interest for poetry in the region.

Is there good competition in the field of creativity that you engage in?
I would say there is potential for greater competition among the poets in Kisumu.

In your own capacity, what are some of your achievements?
One thing I consider an achievement is the role I played in founding the Spoken Heart  Maseno Chapter. Spoken Heart is an urban contemporary artist’s lounge based in Maseno University. It is a Behavior Change Communication Group within I Choose Life (ICL) Maseno with the aim of communicating behavior change through art. It incorporates poets, writers, visual artists, singers/songwriters and spoken word artists.
It was also during my four years in Kisumu that some of my pieces were published in two Kenyan poetry anthologies.



There is a perception out there that Kisumu artists and creatives are not good enough. Do you agree with this? Can anything be done about this?
Any such perception is misguided. I have been part of the Kisumu artists’ network and there is great talent in Kisumu. The only thing that needs to be done is the exposure of this great talent to the rest of the country and the world.

What kind of support have you got from the people around you?
I have received moral and financial support from my friends and family in my pursuit of success as a poet in Kenya.

Who/what inspires you?
I draw my daily inspiration from life experiences, both my own and those of people around me.

Who do you look up to in your artistry?
Caroline Nderitu, Sitawa Wafula. Phyllis Muthoni, Sitawa Namwalie and Staceyann Chin.

Where do you hope to have taken your career in the next five years?
I hope to have published my first poetry book in the next five years.

Pinkpoet was included in a feature by gigzcampo that profiled Maseno University’s 10 most inspiring ladies in October last year. The anthologies in which her poems were featured are Fresh Paint and The Power of Words.


Click this link to view some of her poems in her Facebook notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment